Monday, August 28, 2006

Look Ma, no pictures!

Well, today was my last official morning teaching knitting at the Gathering Place - a shelter in Denver that helps women and children get back on their feet. Most of the women are homeless or staying in shelters. It was such a wonderful experience!! I am hoping that they renew my volunteer contract to teach. It was so great to see knitting click with these women. Some of them were starting from scratch and some had learned from a Grandmother or Aunt to knit previously, but had fallen out of the habit. If you know how, a quick refresher, and you are off to the races again. The yarn and some needles were donated and the women were so appreciative. It was so cool to see them come to the project room on Monday mornings and as they sat down pull out what they had done during the week to show the others! They were so proud of their accomplishment, and eager to learn more - and I was so proud of what they could do. I think I was most proud of the fact that all these women had a new sense of pride, found a new creative outlet and I was the spark -- they have to tend their own fires.

I am in Vegas for work till Thursday - so this is my last post for the week! Hopefully I will come home with some good knitting progress, all that waiting time in the airport and on the plane is good for that! I was just accepted into the knucks kal, so I think I will shoot to get at least two pairs done on this trip. I have six fingers started for my multi pair and I really want to knock out the black ones for Bill asap, so there you go!

Have a good week!

No comments: